We are delighted to announce that we have received a school accreditation kitemark from the organisation Healthy Young Minds in Herts for
"A whole school and college approach to emotional wellbeing, mental health and suicide awareness"
This award recognises that we demonstrate good practise with regards to the wellbeing of our students. We are the first Stevenage school, and the first Education Support Centre to achieve this kitemark.
Well done to Amy Sawyer, our Mental Health Deputy Lead, for all the hard work she has put in to gaining this kitemark for the ESC. This work will benefit all of our students' mental health and wellbeing.
Key points that were noted by Healthy Young Minds in Herts on awarding this kitemark included:
- Staff wellbeing - Great ideas for staff to feel valued and have a voice at our centre
- Policy for mental health is outstanding
- Innovative curriculum that includes mental health- ‘outside the box’ ideas; cultural passport, dog walking
- Students are helped to map out the future and clear destinations are seen- 100% rate for two years running
- Staff training and CPD opportunities are good- all staff Mental health L1 trained and have been accessing MindEd
- Pupils are taught to stay well in creative, holistic ways- Cooking 1:1, Gardening
- Students are taught to be successful at school and in the community. Teaching not only curriculum based but also social skills
- Identifying need is good- the use of CPOMS
- Staff challenge stigma and derogatory language- good role models
- All stakeholders have a voice and all feedback from parents and student’s is positive
- Effective student voice